Bell Green Gas Holder Demolition, 7th January 2019

bell-green

https://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_LEWIS_DCAPR_95514

Work proposed to begin on the 18th June

Memorial to the Bell Green Gas Holders
2018: The Year in Review

They are kinda cute. But a bit of a waste of space. Depends what they put in their place as to wether I support.

Update:

Looks like it’s finally over for the gas holders:

DC_18_107607-Decision_Notice-703390 (2).pdf (105.2 KB)

The demolition plans have taken a few more twists and turns, with concerns over decontamination measures and nesting bird season… with the council applying strict conditions:

DC_18_107607-Decision_Notice-703390 (2).pdf (105.2 KB)

The most recent letter is dated 14th Nov (yesterday):

DC_18_108589-Decision_Notice-741954.pdf (79.0 KB)

The Council’s Environmental Protection Officers comments are non sequitor and are observations, NOT new conditions.

The conditions referred to in the July approval that are pre-commencement conditions have now been fulfilled.

The demolition works can commence.

The reports will be prepared during the currency of the works and will be submitted to the authority at the appropriate time.

I think the current issue is that while they have the right to demolish the gasholders, a large amount of land they plan to develop is being reassessed as potentially legally protected curtilage. The satelite structures of a listed building, in this case, bowling green pavilion, sports ground and tennis courts, all have the same protection as their parent listed building.

We are waiting for Historic England to rule on the extent of the Hall’s curtilage. It’s all incredibly complex and technical, but HE decide on all cases. If half the available land is ruled out of contention, then the costs of dismantling and cleaning up after the gasholders become less appealing, and the plans would in any case need a complete revision.

My favoured use of the gasholders is for a new sports centre, which would allow the Bridge to be redeveloped for housing. One could have swimming pool in the basement / well area, other sports on the next level, and an open air track on a roof terrace. The other could have a multi-purpose hall for sports, events and music performances, with other halls above. Both structures could start below ground and rise halfway up the frame, so we would still get the tracery of the ironwork against the sky. Ah, I can dream…

Seems it’s finally end of the line for the stubborn old gas holders.

Demolition begins in a week. Email from the owners SGN:

Will they… won’t they … for years, and finally it’s happening. Kinda surreal :flushed:

Thanks for sharing @AidenH - I notice that brilliant photo is by @JamesEvans (James, are you okay with Aiden sharing it here?).

End of an era for those gas holders!

Rumbled!! My bad @JamesEvans I didn’t see the watermark when I grabbed the photo from the web. Apologies. If you don’t want me to use it I will edit it out.

How do people feel about the demolition?

• :grinning: Happy
  • :neutral_face: Indifferent
  • :cry: Sad

0 voters

Memorial to the Bell Green Gas Holders

Has there been any emergent evidence of progress or even any acknowledgement by HE that this is an issue that is being considered by them ?

It’s fine. Thanks for asking.

Can’t seem to find the event that resulted in cars being parked in bus stops and on pavements last week. I actually did see someone in a wheelchair trying to get up and down kerbs around Ardley Close. There were even bouncers outside the gates of the venue. But found this from last year…

From SE23.life:

Most if not all of the events at the last months have been large scale funerals or weddings. They can happen as frequently as three to four times per week.

Part of the normal cycle of events and business for this social club.

The parking issues you describe were planned to be alleviated by the provision of parking spaces to the rear of the Livesey Hall - all temporarily dismissed by the rejection of the planning application. We await the restitution of these benefits as part of a potentially successful Inquiry by the Planning Inspectorate in 2019.

Statement from Lewisham Council:

Hat tip to @Michael for spotting this page.

“masterplan for the site” ??? Well the whole of Bell Green currently looks as if it has been cobbled together by a committee charactertised by poor taste, indifference to local needs (especially pedestrians and those who like to breathe easily) and few resources- are we being led to expect something better? Why? Will different people be taking the decisions?