Archived on 6/5/2022

Memorial to the Bell Green Gas Holders

SE26.life
30 Mar '18

With demolition starting on 7th January, let’s use this topic to collect our photos, paintings and memories of the Bell Green gas holders, to create a memorial to this piece of our industrial heritage.

Do you have photos, art or memories to share? Click “reply” and join the conversation

running_past
3 Jan '19

From the snow last year

Carlos_Barquero
3 Jan '19

jonnoprice
12 Jan '19

It’s good to have photos and keep a record but am I the only one that simply does not understand or get the significance of these gas holders? I personally find them somewhat of an eye-sore and believe the land could be put to much better use… I just don’t get it .

Apologies if that offends anyone. Not my intention… I’m genuinely curious as to why this seems such a big deal…

anon3821395
12 Jan '19

Hi @jonnoprice, the gasholders have certainly split opinion. There’s a good debate on this subject, which includes a poll: Bell Green Gas Holder Demolition, 7th January 2019 (I’d encourage the debate to continue on that topic, as opposed to here on the “memorial” topic).

jonnoprice
14 Jan '19

Too right - and totally understood!

Vennerist
16 Jan '19

Lovely photos as always, @anon81602171je

anon3821395
16 Jan '19

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bell Green Gas Holder Demolition, 7th January 2019

Let’s please keep this topic on-topic, thanks folks :+1:

jrw
16 Jan '19

SE23.life
25 May '19

Shared on SE23.life by @Clausy

anon3821395
17 Nov '20
jrw
17 Nov '20

What an absolutely fantastic photo. I’d love to know more about the family; anybody know?

marymck
20 Nov '20

I especially love that he’s wearing his tie.

jrw
20 Nov '20

And his tightly buttoned tweed waistcoat, when everyone else is dressed for the heat.

marymck
20 Nov '20

Made me think of my lovely late uncle, who passed away just a few years ago. He had lost his sight, but still walked out most days to lunch at Chef’s Delight, smart in hat and suit and tie.

I have a photo of my dad working in the garden, while wearing a tie.

system
2 May '22