Aldi taking on former Toys 'R Us store in Sydenham [Planning Approved]

bell-green

A new twist in the tale of Bell Green:

Plans here

“Plot twist” :smiley:

Had my fingers crossed for something like tkmaxx but that’s alright.

And how will Bell Green cope with all the traffic? It is frequently jammed up now and you can actually taste the air pollution around the junctions.Aldi are saying there wil lbe another 3000 rtn journeys a day and they have a vested interest in estimating that on the low side.

I have been to bell green at differing times and days and never have I seen really bad traffic for a ‘retail park’. ( There isn’t currently that much there to draw you so good to see the Aldi!)

And there is always hundreds of spaces, am I missing something? Granted I do not live beside it so apologises.

Will be great not to have to go into the massively congested Catford!

No one cares if htere are parking spaces or not; the issue is the road congestion o nthe gyratory system and its feeder roads- Southend Lane, Perry Rise and Perry Hill… The council itself state the system is above capacity from their own data.

I suppose if it’s decided (by the council?) that bell green is to exist as retail park then perhaps we might expect some shops people actually want to go to setting up and for those people to be happy about it.

The comment on parking spaces was a general comment but actually how can there be so much congestion but no-one actually in bell green parked?! I wonder if the congestion is just bad traffic management system which may outside of Aldi’s control.

Sorry if it’s a different experience for you.

Permission has just been granted by the council for Aldi to take over the Toys 'R Us building:

DC_18_108701-Decision_Notice-742695.pdf (95.9 KB)

How does everyone feel about their new local supermarket?

• Pleased to have Aldi in Bell Green
  • Unsure
  • Would have preferred a different supermarket
  • Would have preferred a different shop
  • Other (please comment)

0 voters

Presumably there may be objections put in…or is it too late for that now?

Paging planning experts @Michael and @jgdoherty

I don’t think objections are possible, as it is already a retail store. We might try asking to have a bit more ecological awareness on the management of the delivery bay area, and wildlife enhancement behind the fencing, but that’s about all. Except for a serious look at the light pollution conditions which I gather the whole retail park is flouting. Basically, hold them to every one of the rules already in place.

I have a great concern about the pollution, but we need a local plan to start tackling that, so please talk to your councillors about it. I wonder whether increasing the dwell-time for visitors by including leisure - children’s soft play etc, might reduce the proportion of pit-stop shoppers? Basically, get shoppers to spend more time and money there, and get more community benefit from each car journey… That can only work if the estate is willing to improve the visit experience, and make it slightly less grim.