Aldi taking on former Toys 'R Us store in Sydenham [Opening on 3rd October 2019]

Spot on. Catford Bridge is horrendous most of the time yet Bell Green retail park is usually a breeze to get in and out of. Sainsburys is such a horrendously poorly run ‘hypermarket’ and always has been for the 16 years I’ve had to use it. The addition of Aldi is very very welcome for us.

And I too am a resident from two streets away who can just see the top of the back of these units from my bedroom (they are orange lit at night and look a bit like a sunset at a glance!)

I welcome the new Aldi. My mother resides in the properties above the Sports Direct so she is as close to this complex as one can get. I am unsure if people are aware but this is an age restricted block so it is inhabited by the elderly that cannot afford the prices at Sainsburys yet cannot travel further due to health constraints.

I look forward to my mothers pension ceasing to dwindle in a shop that is too expensive for the immediate community considering a large proportion of the block opposite mothers, Orchard Court, appears to be inhabited by those that are on benefits.

With regards to the traffic, I visit mother every other day after work and I stay till night. I am travelling in rush hour and I have never had any delay in reaching mothers due to excessive traffic. There is traffic, but it is moving traffic. The traffic is appropriate for rush hour and then it ebbs away when expected. Admittedly, when there has been road works it has caused delays but that is normal with road works is it not?

There will never be a resolution for all. This is will bring jobs and affordable retail but will impact the surrounding environment. What to do.

2 Likes

Some progress- you can no longer look straight through it and wiring is going in. I think their Summer 19 opening is looking optimistic though.

2 Likes

The Aldi recruitment website says November - that seems a bit more realistic!

1 Like

Whenever I get a cab using Uber, Kapten or Bolt, the GPS always sends them down the back streets off Perry Vale to avoid the lights at the bottom of the road. This despite the roadworks in Perry Hill.

It is not about delays, it is about air pollution and noise pollution- the areas around the roads there are already at twice the legal limit for air pollution ( maps can be found on Lewisham website) and we don’t want even more with both Aldi and the self- storage. Lewisham council is all for preaching green solutions with one hand by appointing a cycling/walking tsar and total hypocrisy with policies that will allow the go ahead to even more pollution.
It seems a bit strange that none of these Aldi supporters seem able to see the link between traffic and pollution and even stranger that so many join the forums around here only to post about Aldi. One such poster said she would "love to shop at Aldi" (too much ambition i think!) yet that is the only post she ever made???

I cannot even dispute that Jay. The air quality in Lewisham is a joke and the powers that can tackle, address and change it don’t give a hoot. I don’t think the solution is to limit shops though, it is to limit the exhaust fumes so cleaner cars and buildings are needed.
As for noise, its London. If anyone can find a peaceful place away from traffic in London do tell me so I can move there :slight_smile:

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Billings

The sign is up

2 Likes