Archived on 6/5/2022

The Gym Ltd proposed at old Co-op site, 74-78 Sydenham Road

SE26.life
9 Jan '20

Continuing the conversation from Vacant Sydenham shop has been lit for two years (74-78 Sydenham Road)

The Gym Ltd has submitted a change of use proposal for the former co-op on 74-78 Sydenham Road:

Proposed Floor Plan.pdf (624.5 KB)

The Gym Limited on Companies House: THE GYM LIMITED overview - Find and update company information - GOV.UK

How does everyone feel about a new gym coming to this location?

• Very happy
  • Happy
  • No opinion
  • Unhappy
  • Very unhappy

0 voters

Debbie_Proud_Nanny_L
10 Jan '20

Their is a new gym just opened up opposite smart chaps barbers. Why do we need another one? Clothes shop, Toy shop, Shoe shop…Anything other than a gym, barbers, nail bar or bookmakers.

Cormac
10 Jan '20

Great news. The only gym in the area is Puregym which is very busy and not big enough for the amount of people that go there. Debbie your comment is incorrect, there is not another gym across from chaps. I don’t understand why people aren’t happy about this. Get people moving and healthy. Far better than another supermarket chain we don’t need taking money out of the area. Or a fast food joint or betting shop. Looking forward to seeing some competition to PureGym. It might make them pull their socks up.

Sabrina_D_oronzio
10 Jan '20

Thank you, tell me about that! But it seems the majority want a gym . :sob:. I would love a clothes shop like Primark or shoes shop ! We don t have one here and in Forest Hill as well!

Sabrina_D_oronzio
10 Jan '20

I don t like Gym… for to be active you really don t need a gym…different ways to practice sports and exercises … we don t have clothes shops for instance or sports shops …a part the sad Sport Direct in Bell Green where you can t find good quality off road ,trail shoes for runners or items for swim…

marymck
10 Jan '20

I won’t use the gym myself, but I’m delighted at the footfall this will generate. So I think it’s a positive move.

Kirkdale High Street has an excellent children’s shoe shop by the way. Emmanuel Marshall at 235 Dartmouth Road and some “children’s” shoes do go up to quite large sizes (though I don’t know what sizes they have there). My favourite trainers ever were from a children’s shoe shop in Radlett - and I’m a size six!

Sabrina_D_oronzio
10 Jan '20

We do have already gyms and leisure centre in the area . I don t say is a negative thing BUT we missed some shop where in other places they have … why open a business where there is already one on? I would love to have a clothes shop in Sydenham or a proper sports shop . Or at least something we don t have …

Carlos_Barquero
11 Jan '20

Or get to Beckenham or forest hill or crystal palace (loads of gyms mate) need another high street food store imo. Like for like

Diana
11 Jan '20

A gym would be better than an empty building, but it would be even better, I think, if we could have an M&S food store, or our Co-op back.

marymck
11 Jan '20

Whilst a good quality food store would be nice - as would a restaurant/bar or, what used to stand on the site, a cinema - the building has stood empty for a long time. There was informed talk a while back that a “discount retailer” was about to sign off on the site. I don’t know why that didn’t happen but I think that as long as the gym looks smart and clean it will give a better lift to the high street than a big pound shop and we already have several good independent pound shops anyway.

Meg_Whipp
14 Jan '20

And better than an empty shop with the lights left on!

Cormac
14 Jan '20

Sure why don’t you include the whole of South East London while you’re at it!? Sydenham has a population of nearly 30,000 people. 2 Gyms would not be overkill. The problem with this spot is it’s empty… A gym would definitely be used and is better than the alternatives of a pawnbroker, pound shop, bookie or national food chain which wouldn’t benefit the area. Those wanting clothes stores are deluded… Are there any clothes stores doing well now when we can get so much online? With rent prices overinflated it’s hard to know what kind of shop would sustain itself.

eli
17 Jan '20

It is and may stay a dream, but…some Waitrose :slight_smile:?

M_C
27 Jan '20

Really keen that the lights get switched off. Has been a shocking waste of electricity since the Co-op/Budgens closed.

SydenhamSociety
12 Feb '20

Sydenham’s largest retail site at 74–78 Sydenham Road, which has been empty since 2016, is set to become a gym before the end of the year. The building which had previously been occupied by Budgens, the Co-op, Somerfield, Morrisons and Safeway will be run by fitness operator The Gym who have applied for a 30 year lease. The company has 58 gyms in London including sites at Holborn, Greenwich and Lewisham – and they aim to have over 200 gyms in the UK by the end of the year.

The Sydenham Society has met the developer along with immediate neighbours and we were pleased to be reassured that issues of noise and security are top of the company’s agenda. The building will be refurbished to a high standard with a budget of over half a million pounds to spend. We welcome the application and look forward to working with the company in the future.

The new operator is proud to boast that on average 35 per cent of its users have not been to a gym before – so if you’re not a regular gym attender, now’s your opportunity! With three gyms and two centres for yoga/Pilates, could Sydenham soon be re-branded as the fitness capital of the UK?

Peter_Johnson
12 Feb '20

Great news. Can’t wait to get in there. Give those ‘light people’ something else to wine on about unless we work out in the dark.

NikCroRo
13 Feb '20

Fantastic news. Look forward to the second yoga studio opening too!

clarePtetty
27 May '20

I would like to work here as I have transferable skills and experience and was a member of La fitness for over 10 years before it shut down in Sydenham.
My e-mail address is clare_petty@sky.com.

Alessandro_Gravagna
27 Nov '20

Dear Dabbie, the dragonfly is not a normal gym, but a yoga center which is different, but i agree with you… why another one ???
At least the only good think is that IS NOT GOING TO BE ANOTHER RUBBISH BET CENTER!

Luke_M
5 Jan '21

what on earth is wrong with a second gym for the neighbourhood? the only gym for men and women locally is the pure gym which is insanely busy and oversubscribed. the gym is a step towards better quality of life for anyone who goes. i find it a little bizarre people should spend energy complaining about a gym when as mentioned there is a half dozen gambling outlets, a half dozen pound shops, nailbars, barbers and a dozen convenience stores not to mention an abundance of unhealthy takeaway joints. perspective.