Archived on 6/5/2022

Telecoms Mast Proposals

marymck
29 Aug '20

We’re getting lots of these applications.

Including this one at the Cobbs Corner petrol station:

https://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=_LEWIS_DCAPR_105749&activeTab=summary

pattrembath
29 Aug '20

I think it would be a ‘good idea’ if Lewisham Council asked for a borough-wide plan of where the 5G monopoles and cabinets are likely to be placed. Putting in applications for prior approval in a piecemeal manner seems a waste of time.

Presumably the idea is that the 5G monopoles link up to give coverage, so logically the applicants need to talk to the council about their plans and where they can best be sited (if at all).

I think the proposed monopole at Cobbs Corner is a case in point. This is a Conservation Area - the 1575310_LSM102_79879_SE0155_M001 Site Plans.pdf shows what an ugly out-of-character piece of street furniture the applicant is asking for, and expecting, Prior Approval.

pattrembath
31 Aug '20

Having seen two of these masts yesterday, one in the corner of Blackheath Cricket Club, the other on the corner outside the Shell Garage on Verdant Lane - they are very dominant and, frankly to my eye, extremely ugly.

Lewisham and Bromley councils are quite right in insisting on full planning applications especially for those planned for highly residential areas.

shenyi
1 Sep '20

I haven’t seen the mast myself but seen plenty of pictures. They are indeed eyesore especially if you think of having them right in the middle of residential area.

My neighbour and I have been campaigning last few days for objecting the proposal to erect one on Springfield Road (next to entrance of Sydenham Tennis Club) by knocking at everyone’s door, as our dear Bromley Council failed to notify people living within 100 meters of the proposed location (even houses within 50 meters are ‘hit and miss’). There is definitely insufficient time given on the neighbour consultation, especially nearby pre schools are closed at the moment due to summer holiday.

pattrembath
1 Sep '20

Here’s the mast in all its ‘glory’, towering above the.Shell Petrol Station, and above the local residential properties. It shows the ‘wrap around cabinets’ discreetly inside the petrol station site. No harm done to Shell, probably due a fee for annual rental (I’ve heard a figure, but as I can’t verify it, I cannot quote/surmise on a public platform.)

The one proposed for Cobbs Corner, Sydenham, is behind the BP Petrol Station… work that one out, similarly.

I think that those proposing ‘Prior Approval’ for these masts need to come clean about how this will affect our ‘townscape’, with full details and full scale drawings.

Meanwhile I think Lewisham Council, already concerned and have refused at least 2 ‘Prior Applications’ should, I hope, already be in discussion with the applicants and asking for them to provide LBL (and residents) with their ‘plans’ for the area over the next 2 years.

marymck
30 Sep '20

One more refusal. This one for 277 Kirkdale ,(service station).

. R E A S O N (S) F O R R E F U S A L The siting, appearance and excessive height of the proposed monopole would result in an overly bulky, dominant and highly visible addition and the proposed cabinets and palisade fencing would result in a visually cluttered streetscene, giving rise to unacceptable impact on the local character of the townscape and visual amenity when viewed from Kirkdale and Peak Hill Avenue, as well as wider views into and out of the Cobbs Corner Conservation Area, contrary to Policies CS15 High quality design for Lewisham, and CS16 Conservation Areas and the Historic Environment of the Core Strategy (2011), Policies 30 Urban design and local character, 35 Public Realm, 36 New development, changes of use and alterations affecting designated heritage assets and their setting, and 39 Domestic satellite dishes and telecommunications equipment & Radio and telecommunications masts and infrastructure of the Development Management Local Plan (2014).

marymck
12 Oct '20

One more refusal:

An application for Prior Approval under Part 16 Schedule 2 of the General Permitted Development Order 2015 (as amended) for the installation of a 20m monopole, 6 no. antenna apertures, 2 no. dishes, 4 equipment cabinets on the corner of Sydenham Road and Porthcawe Road, Lower Sydenham SE26.

R E A S O N (S) F O R R E F U S A L The siting of the proposed telecommunications equipment would result in the narrowing of the footway which would restrict the flow of pedestrian traffic, and would have a detrimental impact on pedestrian safety, contrary to Core Strategy Policy 15 High quality design for Lewisham of the Core Strategy (2011), and DM Policy 30 Urban design and local character, DM Policy 35 Public Realm and DM Policy 39 Domestic satellite dishes and telecommunications equipment & Radio and telecommunications masts and infrastructure of the Development Management Local Plan (2014).

At the Sydenham Society AGM we asked that Lewisham supply a map showing all these proposals, so that the public can see the overall plans rather than just hoping to stumble upon individual applications, as is the case at the moment. @CllrLiamCurran offered to request this from Planning Department, so hopefully we’ll soon be able to see the wider picture.

ForestHull
13 Oct '20

It would be interesting to overlay any map of proposals with the current telecoms coverage maps too.