Archived on 6/5/2022

Payless [Shut down]

Vennerist
13 Jan '19

Payless, Kirkdale :grimacing:

My fellow curtain twitchers. Have you noticed the “floral” aromas around this shop, the premium German Autos parked precariously on the pavement, the parties?

For now, all harmless fun and games, but at the same time, creating a difficult environment for neighbouring businesses and residents, and I worry about what’s going on behind the scenes.

@MPSSydenham, are your officers aware?

JMLF
14 Jan '19

Not sure myself, especially as never have the need to use the shop but what people have reported essentially suggests:

• It only opens in the very late evenings/early mornings (11pm - 7am)
  • Its not always open at these times as people have walked past at midnight/1am and it’s closed
  • People are concerned regarding what you have mentioned but also the deterioration of food/storage of items leading to possible health and safety issues (eg: rats). As a result at least one person has contacted the environmental agency.

As said have no idea myself but thought I’d summarise some of the reported information out there for the benefit of this on the forum.

AidenH
14 Jan '19

Thanks JMLF.

For everyone that needs a punnet of satsumas at 3AM :thinking:

RedSE26
16 Jan '19

Hi All

I Received this from Lewisham Environmental Team. Lets hope things will be tidied up soon.

Thank you for your complaint. It appears that this matter is under investigation by the Councils Enforcement Team, who are currently investigating the anti-social behaviour of individuals linked to the premises, along with other issues. The London Fire Authority are also following up on fire safety within the building.

I shall be visiting the premises to establish details of your complaint. All information obtained will be forwarded to the Enforcement Team for information. I shall keep you informed as to the outcome of my inspection.

Should you require further information please do not hesitate to contact.

Kind regards

Ms Yoland Hosten
Environmental Health Officer - Food and Safety Team

RedSE26
17 Jan '19

Another response which is positive!

This email is an update to your complaint… Following my visit to Payless on the 17thJanuary 2019, Details of your complaint was noted. Based upon the matters found I have forwarded your complaint to the enforcement team who are currently dealing with this premises, they will be contacting you shortly.

Should you require further information please do not hesitate to contact.

Yours Sincerely

Yoland Hosten

Vennerist
15 Apr '19

Well, from the sign outside the shop it seems that Payless’s fun and games are over and now all that remains is an unsightly mess and chequered history.

AidenH
15 Apr '19

Thank goodness. And now perhaps we’ll have a more inspiring and less anti-social shop taking its place