Archived on 6/5/2022

Moving to Lawrie Park with a toddler - need advice!

Donna_Orl
18 Feb '19

Hello,

We are looking at the new development in ePark Crescent and really like the houses.

I do however wonder lot about the neighbourhood as we never lived in South London and have no references as to what’s it like :slight_smile:

Anyone would like to share anything we should know: schools, council, things to do with toddlers…

Any advise would be super useful :slight_smile:
Thanks, Donna

anon3821395
18 Feb '19

Hi @Donna_Orl and welcome to the forum! :wave:

We have some Information for New Residents (this topic is editable, so everyone - please feel free to improve it).

Upcoming Sydenham events are listed here: https://se26.life/agenda

And we have lots of topics in our #parenting-schools category.

Hope you enjoy using SE26.life and that you choose Sydenham as your new neighbourhood :+1:

Sgc
18 Feb '19

Hello, I moved to Sydenham nearly 3 years ago and absolutely no regrets so far. Don’t have any kids so can’t give recommendations on school. Certainly seen plenty of different groups for toddlers/kids advertised across this site and SE23 so just next door. Personally I find the area has more community spirit than previous areas i had lived in which were more central. Started playing tennis locally (did beginners session at the tennis club) as well as volunteering at the library. There are sessions for kids there. I love the amount of different parks and woods we have on our doorstep so can mix it up a bit. Different cafes and restaurants & pubs nearby which dont all have the ‘chainy’ feel (personal preference). Obviously everyone looks for different things in an area so unfortunately cant give more specific insight into living here with kids. Have luckily never felt unsafe and I do come back later at night by myself occasionally.
Re council - had both good and bad experiences so v much similar to everywhere I feel.

Twitter
19 Feb '19
weepy
20 Feb '19

I have 3 little ones. Oldest is at st barts. Great school - was put off by the religious angle but in reality totally fine and pretty hands off. Toddlers in cuddly bear and the German kindergarten which is excellent. Used to live in Islington but actually the community vibe is better for sure in SE23/26
Is there anything in particular you want to know ?

Donna_Orl
20 Feb '19

Is more the general feel of the area and schools that I’m just wondering about. We used to live in West, Central and East London but never south. Form talkign to peopel on FB and Twitter it does seem like a good place for a family - which is super important. I work near Canary Wharf so the commute seems to be ok too :slight_smile:

weepy
20 Feb '19

We were the same. We spent some months looking from streatham across to Sydenham for the best place. We definitely liked Sydenham / forest hill best. It has a nice community vibe for sure. It’s not as hip as Hackney and it doesn’t have as much going on as central but equally it’s not suburbia - a nice balance I think. The services are getting better over time in the 4 years I’ve been here there’s been a clear upward trend. As far as schools go you need to look at catchment areas for the primary’s since they tend to be small so it does make a difference where you live as usually there’s only a handful you are close enough too.