Archived on 6/5/2022

Lovely old photos

marymck
15 May '20

Just having a browse, as you do, I stumbled across this lovely old photo online …

anon3821395
15 May '20

Great find! I’ve added this to our editable topic: Historic Sydenham

marymck
15 May '20

Old photos and docs Fox and Hounds.

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

marymck
13 Jun '20

Please does anyone have a picture of the Duke of Edinburgh pub, which used to stand on Wells Park Road?

I have found this shot from 1961, where it is in the background, but nothing else so far.

marymck
13 Jun '20

Nice old piccy here of the Cottage of Content on Wells Park Road. This and the wider shot were taken in 1957. The final picture was taken in 1960 - presumably taken after the Council started demolishing the houses. Shame. No wonder my mum didn’t recognise Wells Park Road when I drove her up it a few years ago.

Sydenham_matt
17 Jun '20

HI
Lovely photos - where on Wells park road were these shots taken?

marymck
17 Jun '20

I believe the postal address was 29 Wells Park Road - but house numbers did change and I haven’t checked that out, so I’ll need to come back to you on that. According to pub wiki, the Cottage of Content stood where Hensford Gardens is now, which makes sense if you compare the houses in the background in these two shots.

More info here …

marymck
1 Jul '20

Upper Sydenham Station 1922

Upper Sydenham Station 1955

Upper Sydenham Railway Station House 1962

marymck
19 Apr '21

Not exactly Sydenham (well not Sydenham at all!) but I just saw this amazing photo in a tweet from Railway Heritage. Peckham Rye. The loo is rather the stuff of nightmares though.

David_Woolford
16 Apr '22

Have seen your old photos including the one referring to The Duke of Edinburgh pub.
I do have some photos taken probably in early 1950’s which I will sort out and send on.
I lived at the Duke with my Grandfather, Bill Classen and my parents who took over the pub when he died in 1948.
I left home in 1954/5 when I got an apprenticeship in Manchester.
Shame it was eventually pulled done.
Will be in touch, David

marymck
16 Apr '22

Hi David that would be wonderful! Thank you so much. I’d love to see them and learn more. I shall let my friend know. She and her family used to go there and were really sad when it closed. She was talking about it just last week. She still lives in Halifax Street.

David_Woolford
17 Apr '22

Attaching first 2 photos.
1: Close up of the Duke of Edinburgh taken from across the road.
2: Inside from Public Bar looking across to the Saloon Bar.
I have several others that might be of interest including a group photo of the Dart Team, not taken by me.
I will sort them out and send on in a few days.
Hope you like these two.

***type or paste code here***

* 1. List item

• List item
marymck
18 Apr '22

David these are wonderful! Thank you so much. It’s so good to see these. I didn’t know the Duke as I moved away from the area as a child and only moved back 20 years ago, but I’ve heard it was a really happy and much missed pub and no one seemed to have a photo of it. Lots of people will be really glad to see these.

marymck
18 Apr '22

The pub wiki quotes from the 1871 census that one of the Duke of Edinburgh’s occupants was a “culinary artist”. I found that intriguing.

David_Woolford
18 Apr '22

Not sure what year my grandfather took over as Licensee of the Duke, might have been early 1930’s. My grandmother died in 1938 and that’s when we all moved in to live with him.
More photos attached.

1: View of Bradford Road taken from 1st floor window of the Duke.
2: Photo of Duke darts team celebration, not sure of date. 
    My mother, now licensee of the Duke, with the group.
3: Local newspaper photo of the earlier full darts team, importantly 
    showing their names. Photo is pre 1948 since  it shows my
    Grandfather, Bill Classen, on right hand side when he was still 
    Licensee.
marymck
19 Apr '22

These are wonderful David. Thank you so much for sharing. It’s great to see people and names too. I hope some people will be able to spot their relatives. Your grandad is listed in the pub wiki entry (link in my last post).

So sad the Duke has gone. The Talma is still standing, but had a big extension and an extra storey put on top for flats. There had been a four bed staff flat there before. The good news is that, after something of a battle, they at least look the part and the Planning Inspector made it a condition that the ground floor and basement always remain a pub. But unless one of the small flats is set aside for staff there’s no staff accommodation now. Sadly, developers don’t seem to try to find landlords to take these pubs on once they’ve had permission for flats above. Still the Talma’s still there so there’s still hope. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks again!

Mary

David_Woolford
20 Apr '22
Hi Mary,

Thanks for your comments, I hope many people will be able to see the photos.
One new one attached. Following your 1955 photo of the station I found one from May 1946 showing the landslide caused by thousands of tons of rubble which had been dumped above the lines from demolition during the war. Only one line kept open causing severe disruption to any service.
I really like your old photos, especially the Peckham Rye ones, quite a collection.
David