Archived on 6/5/2022

Cinema coming?

weepy
3 May '17

The guy in Sugahill told me there was going to be a new cinema opening on Cobbs corner roundabout. In the old snooker hall apparently.

That would be amazing!

topofthehill
3 May '17

And also a Nandos in the old wedding dress shop possible extending into the old CAB premises.

weepy
3 May '17

anyone know more about the cinema? Is it more than a rumour ?

anon3821395
3 May '17
JMLF
3 May '17

I would love a cinema of any type in the area but heard previous rumours that the majority of cobbs corner (I.e above ground level) would be flats. If this is the case I wonder how feasible the rumours of a cinema in the same building as flats would be in light of noise etc.

If the rumours are true I’ve always thought a local small cinema based on whirled cinema’s (Loughborough junction) model would work a treat. They essentially have one screen, 2 or 3 different films per week (typically each shown twice on successive evenings) plus they rent out the space also. You can order pizza in and they have a small bar. They make their money I assume from the drinks and the membership scheme which on last look (a few years ago so may well have gone up) was around £100 for the year or £10 a week which included free entry for that period including a plus 1. They have been open a good whole now so must be working half decently!